Landlord Insurance Washington State

Landlord Insurance Washington State — Great Options One Call or Click Away!

Landlord Insurance Washington State

When you are looking for Landlord Insurance in Washington State, Idaho, Oregon, California, and many other states across the US you can have confidence the agents of Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers can help you find the coverage you need to protect your largest investment.

We offer comprehensive insurance protection for Single Family Real Estate Investors, those who own Apartment BuildingsOffice BuildingsRetail CentersHotels or MotelsWarehouses, Washington State Vacant Property Insurance and so much more!

Call right now by dialing 1-800-228-8291 before 5 PM PST.

If it is after hours or simply more convenient click any of the links below based on your specific need for property insurance and one of our licensed agents will get back with you soon:

Landlord Insurance Washington State — What You Don’t Know About Insurance and the Law Can Hurt You!

While it is true that real estate investing over the long-term has proven to be one of the most successful investments, there are some areas of knowledge that you should be familiar with, including:

  • State Laws
  • Insurance Options

First, we would like to share some information about state laws you should be aware of. It is also in your best interest to keep yourself informed on current changes in state laws.


Because state laws may change regarding tenants’ rights. What is currently allowed in 2018 may be disallowed at some point in the future.

It would be a good idea not to assume the information you read on this website includes the latest laws in the states in which we do business.

You can visit the Washington State website to learn more about laws that pertain to landlords and tenants’ rights by clicking here: Washington State Laws Involving Tenants and Landlords.

Simply type in Landlord and you will find many different references to state law.

It is certainly beneficial for real estate investors, i.e. Landlords, to ensure they are not breaking Washington State Laws because their insurance may not cover violations of state law.

In addition, you need to keep in mind that if you are found to be in violation of state laws your tenants will have grounds for litigation (which may also not be covered by your insurance) and the State may be able to legally fine you or your company (again, this may not be covered by your insurance) for violations of various Tenants’ Laws written into the State constitution.

Landlord Insurance Washington State — State Laws to Pay Attention To.

Keep in mind that your insurance may not cover you if you violate any of the below guidelines and are sued by tenants or government authorities.

We will list some of the current state laws for Washington State. Some have been shortened. A complete listing can be found by clicking this link: RCW 59.18.060

Landlord — Duties.

The landlord will at all times during the tenancy keep the premises fit for human habitation, and shall in particular:

(1) Maintain the premises to substantially comply with any applicable code, statute, ordinance, or regulation governing their maintenance or operation, which the legislative body enacting the applicable code, statute, ordinance or regulation could enforce as to the premises rented if such condition endangers or impairs the health or safety of the tenant;

(2) Maintain the structural components including, but not limited to, the roofs, floors, walls, chimneys, fireplaces, foundations, and all other structural components, in reasonably good repair so as to be usable;

(3) Keep any shared or common areas reasonably clean, sanitary, and safe from defects increasing the hazards of fire or accident;

(4) Provide a reasonable program for the control of infestation by insects, rodents, and other pests at the initiation of the tenancy and, except in the case of a single-family residence, control infestation during tenancy except where such infestation is caused by the tenant;

(5) Except where the condition is attributable to normal wear and tear, make repairs and arrangements necessary to put and keep the premises in as good condition as it by law or rental agreement should have been, at the commencement of the tenancy;

(6) Provide reasonably adequate locks and furnish keys to the tenant;

(7) Maintain and safeguard with reasonable care any master key or duplicate keys to the dwelling unit;

(8) Maintain all electrical, plumbing, heating, and other facilities and appliances supplied by him or her in reasonably good working order;

(9) Maintain the dwelling unit in reasonably weathertight condition;

(10) Except in the case of a single-family residence, provide and maintain appropriate receptacles in common areas for the removal of ashes, rubbish, and garbage, incidental to the occupancy and arrange for the reasonable and regular removal of such waste;

(11) Provide facilities adequate to supply heat and water and hot water as reasonably required by the tenant;

(12)(a) Provide a written notice to all tenants disclosing fire safety and protection information. The landlord or his or her authorized agent must provide a written notice to the tenant that the dwelling unit is equipped with a smoke detection device as required in RCW 43.44.110.

(13) Provide tenants with information provided or approved by the department of health about the health hazards associated with exposure to indoor mold. Information may be provided in written format individually to each tenant, or may be posted in a visible, public location at the dwelling unit property.

The above summation of state laws landlords must follow is only a brief glance of state requirements. It is a good idea to be aware of all state law requirements. Otherwise, you could be facing financial trouble if you intentionally or accidentally violate a state law.

One such example applies directly to insurance. 

Focusing our attention on Section 1: “Maintain the premises to substantially comply with any applicable codestatute, [or] ordinance” is one where Landlords can get themselves into significant financial difficulties.


In the event of a covered claim, let’s say a fire occurs with significant structural loss to the building itself. The landlord will be required to bring the building up to modern code.

If it’s a relatively new building it is likely already up to code. What if the building is 60 years old, however?

The landlord will be required to make sure all repairs and reconstruction uses up-to-date building codes.

That doesn’t seem like a big deal until you come to realize that a particular coverage called Ordinance and Law Coverage is not included unless you add it as an endorsement to your policy. That means extra costs you incur as the real estate investor will be borne entirely by yourself unless you purchased the Ordinance and Law Coverage option.

We will get into Ordinance and Law Coverage in more detail later but suffice it to say it’s vital for landlords to pay close attention to state law as they may adversely impact your real estate investment.

Next, we are going to discuss in more detail the reason why you found our website in the first place: you are looking for Washington State Landlord Insurance!

Landlord Insurance Washington State — Insurance Options to Consider.

There are many different options to consider for your real estate investments so it’s important to speak with one of our licensed agents soon.

To get you somewhat prepared before you call us we would like to share some of your available options.

No matter if you are looking for Washington State Landlord Insurance for Single Family or Multi Family UnitsApartment Building InsuranceOffice Building Insurance Washington StateStrip Mall Insurance, Office Building Insurance Washington State, or Warehouse Insurance, all the above-mentioned types of Real Estate can be written under similar Policy Forms options.

There are three specific coverage options that are available for rental properties and they include:

  • Basic Policy Coverage Form
  • Broad Policy Coverage Form
  • Special Policy Coverage Form

Each of the three policy forms provides different levels of coverage and there are some differences when the form is written on a Commercial Policy Form or a Personal Policy Form.

A Personal Basic Policy Coverage Form is sometimes referred to as a Dwelling Fire One and it can be used for single-family residential units or a Multifamily Unit (up to four units, typically) when the real estate investor only owns a handful of rental properties.

Example: Tony Smith inherits his grandparents’ home and decides to rent it out to tenants for extra income. Later, he buys two additional single-family rental units and rents those properties out as well.

Tony calls his agent responsible for his car and homeowner’s insurance and purchases a Personal Dwelling Fire One Policy to cover all three properties.

Tony needs to purchase three separate policies to cover his three rental units.

At the time, Tony was not aware that he could have instead purchased a Commercial Basic Policy Coverage Form.

The Basic Policy Coverage Form is the least expensive option for rental properties, no matter if it is a Personal Coverage Form or a Commercial Coverage Policy Form.

However, real estate investors need to keep in mind that the Basic Policy Coverage Form only covers a limited number of claim events and may leave you in a position where it might be necessary for you to pay certain claims out of pocket!

For instance, if a water pipe breaks and causes a flood in one of your rental units, will the Basic Policy Coverage Form pay for the damage?

That’s an excellent question. Continue reading the next section to discover the answer to that question.

Landlord Insurance Washington State — Is a Water Claim Covered under the Basic Policy Coverage Form?

If a water pipe breaks or, let’s say, a toilet overflows causing water damage in one of your rental units, will the Basic Policy Coverage Form pay for the damage?

Unfortunately, the Basic Policy Coverage Form will not pay the damages for this type of claim.


Water claims are not a Named Peril in the Basic Policy Coverage Form.

For a claim to be covered under the Basic Policy Coverage Form, no matter if it’s written on a Personal Form or Commercial Form, the claim event must be named or listed as a covered peril in the policy to extend protection for that water claim mentioned above.

While it is true that the Basic Policy Coverage Form is the most affordable Washington State Landlord Insurance option, it likewise only covers a handful of claim events, and a water claim, unfortunately, is not a covered claim event (except in one possible instance. See below).

Imagine for a moment that a pipe breaks, spilling hundreds or thousands of gallons of water in your rental unit until discovered. How much damage could that cause?

It could be tens of thousands of dollars!

So, while it might be tempting to only purchase the Basic Policy Coverage Form because of its lower price, you can also endanger your personal finances if a certain type of claim occurs that is not named as a covered peril.

You will also want to keep in mind that there may be some differences in coverage between the Basic Policy Coverage Form that is written on a Commercial Policy Form versus a Personal Policy Form.

The Basic Commercial Policy Form may include water damage due to sprinkler leaks whereas the Personal Policy Coverage Form would not cover water damage from a leaking sprinkler in your building.

A water claim is one type of claim event that can occur to rental properties with devastating consequences.

That is why it’s important to know what your coverage options are up front and hopefully you’ve taken time to read the information on our website.

If you’re too busy, as many business owners are, the agents of Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers are more than willing to walk you through your available options for real estate investors.

We also specialize in Commercial Insurance for Real Estate Investors in Washington State and throughout the country.

If you need Washington State Landlord Insurance for Single Family or Multi Family units that is not a problem!

If you own Apartment Buildings, Apartment Building Insurance in Washington State is one call or click away! We have super competitive rates for Washington State Apartment Building Insurance and we are one of the only companies partnered with a leading carrier in the state.

If you are a property manager or owner of office buildings and you are in the market for a new policy or need to replace an old policy because the rates have gone up too much simply click Office Building Insurance in Washington State or call us by dialing 1-800-228-8291 until 5 PM PST.

For more than 50 years we have served the needs of thousands of business owners and we can help you, too!

Call Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers When You Need Landlord Insurance in Washington State!

Remember, we also offer landlord insurance across the country, so if you are not located in Washington state, no worries. We can help.

Call 1-800-228-8291 Monday through Friday until 5 PM Pacific Standard Time or, if you reach us after hours, click one of the links below to send us a request for quotes around the clock.

One of our licensed agents will get back with you soon. Thank you very much for visiting our website and we hope to serve your insurance needs in the near future.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Apartment Buildings

Do you own apartments and/or condominiums? Whether you need coverage for a few units, an apartment building, or an entire complex, Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers can provide you with great coverage options to suit your needs. Start by giving us a call at 1-800-228-8291 and speaking to a licensed commercial property insurance professional today. From there we can provide you with information and a free estimate.

Rental Units

Looking to insure single family rental homes? From cottages to bungalows, Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers can help you find an insurance policy that is both affordable and comprehensive. Call us today at 1-800-228-8291 and speak with an insurance agent to start your free quote on single family rental coverage.

Office Buildings

Do you own office buildings and business complexes? Are you searching for better rates and coverage on commercial property insurance for your office buildings? If so then call the commercial property insurance agents of Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers today. As an independent brokerage we can find you the best pricing and coverage available on the market today. Contact us at 1-800-228-8291 to begin your free office building insurance quotes over the phone.

Strip Malls

Do you own a mall, strip mall, shopping center, or other related commercial property? For great rates on commercial insurance for your properties call Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers today at 1-800-228-8291. One of our licensed agents will get you started with a free commercial property insurance quote over the phone.

Hotels and Motels

Looking for commercial property insurance to cover your hotel and/or motel properties? Through our insurance partners, Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers offers excellent rates on property insurance to cover your hotel and motel building exposures. Dial 1-800-228-8291 today to talk to one of our experienced property insurance agents and begin your free quotes right now.


Are your warehouse properties in need of a comprehensive commercial property insurance policy? If so, call the commercial property insurance experts at Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers. Our licensed staff would be happy to assist you with your property insurance needs. Call us toll-free at 1-800-228-8291 to speak with an agent today and get started on your free warehouse insurance quotes.

Vacant Properties

Do you have vacant properties currently in need of insurance protection? To find the best commercial property insurance options available, contact the agents of Duncan and Associates Insurance Brokers today. Give us a call at 1-800-228-8291 during normal business hours and chat with a licensed commercial property insurance agent for free quotes and information on vacant property insurance.